3 Ways We Check if Dental Implants Are a Good Option for You
Tooth loss for any reason can be devastating. You must deal with the discomfort of chewing certain foods, and, depending on the reason for your tooth loss, you may feel embarrassed or ashamed. You also need to decide what type of tooth replacement is most appropriate for your unique needs.
Replacing lost teeth is necessary for restoring lost function and allowing you to smile confidently again. Dental implants are an excellent choice for several reasons:
- A dental implant replaces the entire tooth, including the root
- Unlike bridges or dentures, dental implants are permanent
- Dental implants help promote healthy bone growth in your jaw
Are You a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Your dental implant is a titanium post that’s surgically placed in your jaw. As it heals, the post fuses securely with surrounding bone and tissue. When healing is complete, the implant will be topped off with a dental crown or bridge.
To be a good candidate for dental implants, there are three main factors we have to consider
- Healthy gums – Successful implant placement requires healthy gums. If you have untreated gum disease, you are not a good candidate for an implant until your gum health is restored.
- Sufficient bone density –The implant post is placed in your jawbone, and that’s what gives it stability. So there must be sufficient bone density to support the implant. In many cases, a bone grafting procedure can build up the bone for successful implant placement.
- Good oral health – In addition to healthy gums and bone density, another factor we have to consider is the state of your general oral health. Ideal candidates will have a healthy mouth that’s well taken care of.
Please Call Us to Arrange a Consultation
Dental implants at our Brentwood, TN dental office are a state-of-the-art tooth replacement that has changed the lives of millions of people. If you’re dealing with tooth loss and would like more information, please call Sullivan Dental Partners to arrange a commitment-free consultation.