Oral Surgery in Brentwood, TN
Proudly serving the Brentwood, TN community
At Sullivan Dental Partners, your complete comfort is crucial to us.
If you are feeling apprehensive, we encourage you to share your concerns with us. Our state-of-the-art technology and advanced dental techniques allow us to perform oral surgical procedures that are safe, efficient, and as comfortable as possible.
Please Contact Us for More Information
If you have been told or suspect that you need oral surgery, please contact our Brentwood dental office. We are sensitive to your needs and will do everything possible to make your experience as comfortable as possible.
We will be happy to arrange a consultation so we can discuss your concerns and talk about extraction as well as other possible solutions.
- Are your dentists experienced in oral surgery?
- What dental procedures does oral surgery include?
- Do you offer sedation for oral surgery?
- Why would I need a tooth extraction?
- Does getting a dental implant hurt?
- What do you use laser dentistry for?
- What steps should I take following oral surgery?
Are your dentists experienced in oral surgery?
When you are anxious about oral surgery, you want the confidence of knowing your care is in the hands of an experienced professional.
Dr. Rick and Dr. Sully have devoted themselves to specialized training and learning all about the latest advances in oral surgical techniques. This is a legacy he carries on from Dr. Rick's grandfather (Dr. Sully’s great grandfather), Dr. Templeton, who was the Oral Surgery Chief at the University of Tennessee Dental School.
What dental procedures does oral surgery include?
Oral surgery is any surgical procedure performed in or around your mouth and jaw. At Sullivan Dental Partners, we offer:
- Comfortable tooth extraction
- Dental implant placement
- Non-invasive laser procedures
Dr. Rick and Dr. Sully have decades of experience between them. Oral health care is continuously evolving, so they invest in continuing education and advanced training to bring you the latest and best dental care.
If you have questions about our oral surgery in Brentwood, TN, please call Sullivan Dental Partners for an appointment.
Do you offer sedation for oral surgery?
The thought of oral surgery is daunting to many people. But there’s no need to be nervous, and we can help you relax using two types of sedation.
The first option is nitrous oxide or laughing gas, which is the mildest form of sedation available. Nitrous oxide will make you feel drowsy, and the activity around you will seem very far away. But it won’t put you to sleep, and you will be alert enough to communicate with your dental team.
As soon as we stop administering the flow of nitrous, its effects dissipate quickly. You can drive yourself home from your dental appointment and return to your usual activities.
Oral sedation is another effective option where our Brentwood dentists prescribe a sedative for you to take about an hour before your appointment. By the time you arrive at our dental office, you will already feel very relaxed and comfortable. If you choose oral sedation, however, a friend or family member must drive you home from your appointment.
Why would I need a tooth extraction?
Of course, our goal is to preserve the structure of a natural tooth for as long as possible. We always look for the most conservative solutions for keeping a tooth healthy and intact. But situations do arise where extraction is the only viable option:
- A decayed or broken tooth is too damaged to be treated with a root canal.
- A tooth is positioned at an unusual angle and threatens to alter the position of surrounding healthy teeth.
- If advanced gum disease has compromised the stability of a tooth, we may suggest extraction to protect your gums and remaining teeth.
- We need to remove teeth in preparation for orthodontic treatment.
- Dr. Rick or Dr. Sully need to remove an impacted wisdom tooth here at our office.
We understand that it is overwhelming to lose a tooth, even under controlled circumstances. But the compassionate and friendly members of our professional team have the experience and training necessary to guide you through the experience and make it as stress-free as possible.
Does getting a dental implant hurt?
The procedure for placing a dental implant is not complicated. But because we place the implant in your jaw bone, it is considered surgical in nature.
For your convenience, Dr. Rick and Dr. Sully perform dental implant placement here at our Brentwood, TN dental office. If you’re feeling apprehensive about the procedure, it’s nice to have a dental team to turn to that you know and trust.
In most cases, placing a dental implant takes an hour or less, and patients report little to no discomfort. Our dentists will make sure your mouth is numb before they begin the procedure so that you won’t feel any pain.
If you’re still apprehensive, we offer nitrous oxide sedation to help you relax without any lingering after-effects. Oral sedation is an option where our dentists prescribe a calming medication for you to take an hour before your procedure.
Most people find that having a dental implant placed is more comfortable than having a tooth pulled. But your comfort is our priority, so please let us know what we can do to help you relax.
What do you use laser dentistry for?
State-of-the-art dental lasers now allow us to perform a wide range of procedures with greater accuracy and dramatically reduced healing times. Dental lasers are a gentle and safe alternative to traditional dental tools. Laser dentistry benefits you by requiring fewer shots and less need for anesthesia.
Using dental lasers, we can:
- Remove oral growths and relieve the pain of cold sores and fever blisters
- Remove cysts, soft tissue lesions, and fibromas
- Contour excess gum tissue to eliminate the problem of a “gummy” smile
- Performing bone grafting procedures with minimal discomfort and recovery time
Dental lasers have given us a new way to perform procedures with minimal bleeding and shorter recovery times. If you're interested to see how we use laser dentistry at our Brentwood dental practice, please call us to arrange an appointment.
What steps should I take following oral surgery?
Recovering from oral surgery should be a smooth, uncomplicated process if you follow your dentist’s instructions and care for yourself and the surgical site properly.
These instructions typically include the following:
- Plan to stay home and care for yourself for the rest of the day. If you’ve been sedated, we recommend that you rest at home until the sedative wears off. Avoid bending, lifting, or other strenuous activities
- Place an ice pack on your jaw for 30 minutes to reduce bruising, swelling, or pain. Then remove it for 15 minutes and repeat the process.
- It’s critical to protect the clot that is forming over the surgical site. Disturbing or dislodging the clot often leads to a very painful condition called dry socket. Don’t smoke or drink through a straw as the sucking motion can dislodge the clot.
- Stick to a soft diet for the first few days that includes applesauce, soup, or yogurt. Stay away from foods that are hot, cold, chewy, or spicy.
If you experience anything that you think is out of the ordinary, call your Brentwood, TN dentist right away.