At Sullivan Dental Partners, we recommend dental exams and cleanings every six months because these preventive treatments are your best defense against cavities and gum disease. However, we understand that sometimes circumstances can prevent you from seeing your 37027 dentists on a timely basis.
How to Protect Your Teeth At Home
Even when you can’t see the dentist, there’s a lot you can do to protect your oral health on your own. These are all steps you should be taking now anyway, but they are especially critical when you can’t see your dentist.
- Brush twice a day with fluoridated toothpaste.
- Floss once to remove plaque buildup between your teeth.
- Rinse with a non-alcohol mouthwash twice a day to reduce plaque buildup.
- Drink water instead of sugary sodas and fruit juices that increase the acid in your mouth and lead to cavities.
- Don’t eat popcorn, and avoid hard or crunchy foods that can break or chip a tooth.
- Avoid all-day snacking that causes acid to build up on your teeth and cause cavities.
- Cut out sweets and non-fiber carbs that act like sugar and contribute to plaque buildup.
- If you’re a smoker, try to cut back as it increases your risk for gum infections.
Call our Brentwood TN Dental Clinic
Following all these steps can help you maintain excellent oral health even when you can’t see your Brentwood dentist on a timely basis. Of course, you are always welcome to call us if you have any questions or concerns, or when you’re ready to schedule your next appointment.